"If you would create something, you must be something."

Friday, September 3, 2010

The Fruitcake Capital of the World


the georgia fruitcake company. haha

The city of Claxton is located in Southeast Georgia, 22 miles south of Statesboro, that is, 199 miles southeast of Atlanta. So, this is officially my first “road trip” since I’ve been at Southern. I can’t believe we’re actually leaving Statesboro! Well, barely…but it counts. Mary has to go pick up a prescription at CVS, so, thirsting for some adventure I willingly accompanied her on her quest. So I got to wondering…what is there in Claxton? Someone told us that there was a chicken factory…someone else told us that 30% of their population is below poverty line. But the most striking fact that I’ve heard by far is that the city of Claxton is known as the “Fruit Cake Capital of the World.” Now that, my friends, is an accomplishment. When I was reading about Claxton, I scanned to something that said “Claxton Meteorite.” Apparently, in 1984 a meteorite fell in Claxton and hit a mailbox. It turns out that this is the only mailbox to have been struck by a meteorite, and it ended up selling for $83,000. What an interesting little town. I tell you…you learn something new every day.
we were parked, don't worry
There isn’t much else going on today besides that. We had breakfast/lunch at Einstein’s… We woke up pretty early this morning for having gone to bed around 4 a.m. We went to Rumrunners last night, and then Mary & I decided to see what Rude Rudy’s was all about, because we kept hearing about it. The rumors are true; Rudy’s is crazy. It was literally about 110 degrees in there. We stayed until closing which was 2, and then on our walk back to the EV penthouse, some guy gave Mary a hotdog for free. Why there was a hotdog stand outside of the bars, I do not know.
best friends :)
Anyways, we’re in the car right now, so I’m going to go enjoy the rest of our drive. We’re only 3 miles away from the Fruitcake Capital of the World!! Love to my family & friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment